Thursday, January 01, 2009

HAPPY 2009! That's a 2-year-old me offering a simple flower to welcome you to the new year!

I can't tell you how much I love a new year! To me, it's really a fresh start. A chance to begin again. All past attempts at - whatEVER - don't count. Just start now. Okay, part of this is because I tend to be a "black and white", "all-or-nothing" thinker. Which isn't all that healthy. But the new year gives me an excuse to just.start.over. I'm psyched. I'm inspired. I'm ready. And I love the feeling.

(The feeling that I don't love today is the fact that I have a yucky cold, my sinuses and ears are full, I'm feeling very lethargic and I think it's starting to go south (i.e. to my chest). So, I'm laying low today - again - and drinking lots of fluids. Today, our beloved Penn State Nittany Lions play in the Rose Bowl and that will be a big event - with dinner - down at Chris's sister Kellie's house.)

SO, among those of us that like to document/journal/scrapbook and etc. it has become a tradition to begin the year with a new "word" in mind. A theme for your year so to speak. Here's what fellow scrapartist/journalist/documenter Ali Edwards has to say about it:

The idea behind the one little word concept is to give yourself something to focus on throughout the year. As I stated in my newsletter back in January 2007, "A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow."

Also from that same newsletter:

Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself in 2009? It can be something tangible or intangible. It could be a thought or a feeling or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you. This is not your mother's word or your spouse's word or your child's word - this is YOUR word. One little word can have big meaning in your life if you allow yourself to be open to the possibilities. And here's one thing that is totally interesting: sometimes a word will pop into your brain and it will not make any sense to you right now. Give it some time. Let it percolate a bit. I have often found that our hearts speak to us in very unique ways. Maybe this is a word you need to hear but just aren't ready for it yet. Again, be open to the possibilities.

I've had several considerations for my one little word this year. I thought about continuing with my word from last year, which I really liked, but I feel I didn't get the most out of. That word was "purposeful". I've also been considering "simplify" and "support". And, in the end, I have decided to go with ---- SIMPLIFY. This is just something that I've had on my mind a lot lately. It speaks to organization, yes, but also to just uncluttering my mind as well and really honing in on what's the most important to me in my faith, my family and my life in general. And simplifying is about removing all that hinders me from my focus in those areas of importance. Whether it's finally going through my desk and cleaning out the junk from old file folders, or sitting down and figuring out how my time can be BEST spent in serving others. In that area, for instance, I'm just all over the place and want to do so many things and then end up doing nothing. If I can just figure out how to simplify in that area. Maybe I can get a stash of handmade cards ready so that I can always send out a word of encouragement at a moments' notice. As it is right now - I always want to send a card - but, since I'm a scrapper, I feel it has to be handmade and then I don't have the time to make one right away and then the opportunity is lost. Or maybe I can decide that I'm going to give an hour a week to just visiting people that need a visit - or at least calling them. Whatever. Thinking things like this through and then formulating a simple plan will increase my opportunities to meet other people's needs in such a way as to actualy accomplish something. Another way the word may come into play is when I think about the everyday things that come up. I want to take a simpler approach and seize the moment, rather than getting so caught up in planning and preparation that the moment is lost. This could apply to the whole Christmas thing in general or to something like having someone over for supper.

I have lots of very creative friends. And I love the things that they do. But when I try to be like them, it's just harder for me. I guess it doesn't come naturally. But, I can also simplify by just being true to myself and doing things in my own simple way (by the way - simple does NOT mean sloppy or haphazard!) and being happy and confident in that.

And then there's the WHOLE issue of housecleaning! Ugh. It always seems like such an insurmountable task. But I have a great system - if only I would DO it. It would make my life so much more - yes, SIMPLE - if I would put my card system to use. My house would be virtually clean all the time and ready for whatever all the time and there wouldn't be these energy-sucking huge scrambles to prepare for company - if I even agree to have company because of the energy it often requires. To simplify would mean to get this system in order so that I am FREER to do what I really want to do with my time.

Hmmm, maybe my word should be "discipline" instead. But that sounds so negative! I like the sound of simplify better and I'm sticking with it!

So, happy new year out there. May it be full of blessings - and SIMPLE!

No comments: